To begin the association’s 100th year, APTA will open a new headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia. The building will support APTA’s workforce of the future and be more welcoming to our members and the public. APTA Centennial Center is a tribute to APTA’s mission, vision, and values.
Association membership surpassed the 100,000 mark after a collaborative push by APTA, its components, and members. To put that accomplishment into perspective, APTA surpassed 25,000 members in 1975 and 50,000 members in 1990.
The Student Assembly was formed to enhance the role of student members and lend a voice to the future leaders of the profession.
APTA purchased and moved to new buildings at 1111 North Fairfax Street in Alexandria, Virginia, with two neighboring buildings being purchased in 1993 and 1996. This marked the first time the association owned the buildings that house its headquarters.
Catherine Worthingham was the first recipient of the fellow program that bears her name. The Catherine Worthingham Fellow designation (FAPTA) is the highest honor among APTA’s membership categories.
The first Combined Sections Meeting (CSM) was held in Washington, DC. It drew more than 1,000 attendees. By 2018, CSM was attracting more than 17,000 attendees per year.
APTA relocated its headquarters from New York City, where the association was founded, to Washington, D.C., in order to have a stronger advocacy presence on Capitol Hill.
The first two classes of physical therapist assistants (PTAs) graduated and entered the workforce. The first PTA education programs had been established earlier at Miami-Dade Community College in Florida and St. Mary’s Junior College in Minnesota (now St. Catherine University).
The House of Delegates voted to change the association’s name to the American Physical Therapy Association from the American Physiotherapy Association, which had been its name since 1922.
The association’s House of Delegates was created at the 1944 annual meeting. Margery L. Wagner of California was elected first chair of the body.